Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving released a statement Tuesday following criticism he leveled last week on the latest of his signature shoes with Nike, the Kyrie 8.
In response to a photo leak shared on social media of the latest edition of his sneakers, Irving called the shoes “trash” and said Oregon-based Nike planned to release the shoes despite its disapproval. His comment has been liked over 16,000 times by users on the Instagram post, which is still live.
“I have nothing to do with designing or marketing the next # Kyrie8, IMO this is garbage!” Irving wrote at the time. “I have absolutely nothing to do with them! Nike is planning to release it without my consent no matter what I say, so I apologize in advance to all my sneaker fans and true supporters of the # KAI11 brand.
Irving added some information about the issue with Nike.
“When you’re building something big, sometimes there comes a point where you need to recalibrate and refocus to make sure everyone involved is aligned,” Irving said in a statement. declaration regarding his comments. “This is where the KAI11 and Nike brand are located. It was unfair to put the blame on Nike or on one person. That being said, we’re working diligently, restructuring and re-imagining things together to make sure we get it right. “
Irving’s $ 11 million deal with Nike has become one of the most lucrative in the sport in recent years. The former Duke star, 29, developed a signature shoe line with the sportswear company that quickly became one of the most popular and recognizable products among NBA stars.
It is clear, however, that the tension between the two parties is increasing.
Nike faced a similar controversy with Vanessa Bryant, the widow of the late Kobe Bryant. A pair of Nike “Mambacita” Kobe 6 sneakers were shipped and in the hands of an unidentified person despite Vanessa saying the shoe was not approved for sale or production.
– Aron Yohannes